This carrot cake oatmeal is dessert transformed into a healthy breakfast bowl. Loaded with warming spices, shredded carrot, raisins and walnuts. Easily made in 10 minutes.
- 1 cup grated carrot, about 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar, optional or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Bring the oats to a simmer while stirring frequently to help the oatmeal thicken. Cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the oatmeal is slightly underdone to your thickness preference.
- Remove from heat and let it sit then top with extra toppings as desired and serve.
Make sure to stir the oats regularly. Stirring as it cooks helps to release some of the natural starches that help improve the texture and creaminess of the oats.
Note that your oats will keep thickening even after you store it in the fridge. To restore the texture you like, add a few splashes of milk and a pinch of some spices to help bring it back to life.
If you’d like to make the cream cheese drizzle featured in the image, combine 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp lemon juice and whip together until fully combined.
Keywords: carrot cake oatmeal, vegan carrot cake oatmeal, healthy carrot cake oatmeal