These Crispy Potato Tacos (Tacos Dorados de Papas) are satisfying and easy to make vegan. Stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes and cooked until golden and crispy.
- 2 Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise or 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
- 10 yellow corn tortillas
- High Heat Oil for cooking
- Fill a pot with room temperature water, add a generous pinch of salt and add your potatoes. Bring the pot to a boil and allow the potatoes to cook until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the water completely then to the pot with the potatoes add in the mayo, seasonings and nutritional yeast as listed. Use a potato masher to mash your potatoes until they are fairly smooth.
- Heat up your tortillas in a skillet for a few seconds on each side to help make them pliable. Then, scoop 2 tbsp of the potato filling onto half the tortilla and fold it over to close. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Heat a pan and add oil to cover the bottom of a skillet (about 3 tablespoons). When the oil is hot, cook the tortillas in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy and golden. Repeat with remaining the remaining tacos and make sure not to over crowd the pan.
Baking instructions: Brush or spray the outside of the assembled tacos with oil and place in a preheated oven at 425F. Bake for 10 minutes or until the tortillas have crisped up to your liking.
Air fryer instructions: Place the oiled tortillas in an air fryer (do not over crowd the basket) and cook at 400F for 5-7 minutes or until crispy (the cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer).
- Warm up your tortillas before stuffing. This will prevent the tortillas from cracking when folded in half and cooked.
- Feel free to add vegan cheese to your taco filling. Shredded vegan cheese like Miyoko’s works especially well for this. I left it out to keep these truly cost effective.
- Avoid overstuffing your taco. This will make it more difficult for your taco to both flip and properly crisp up.
- Make sure not to overcrowd the pan or basket with tacos. They should have space to cook and crisp up evenly.
Keywords: crispy potato tacos, crispy vegan potato tacos, potato tacos