A fresh herby and citrus infused rice perfect to upgrade any main dish. This zesty Cilantro Lime Rice uses simple ingredients and is easy to make.
- 1 tbsp of avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice, I used Jasmine Rice rinsed and drained well of excess water
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube or 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Paste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Zest of 1 lime, juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- Salt to taste
- Warm a sauce pan or skillet over medium low heat and then add oil to warm through and lightly coat the bottom of your pan. Sauté your minced garlic in the oil for about 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the drained rice and coriander then sauté it for at least 5 minutes to help toast the rice.
- Pour the water with the bouillon cube or the vegetable broth over the rice and stir to combine. Bring the pan to a boil, then reduce the heat of the stovetop to the lowest heat setting.
- Sprinkle the rice with a pinch of salt and then cover the pan and cook for 12 minutes. Remove the rice from the stove top and allow the rice to rest with it’s cover on for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and then add the chopped cilantro, lime zest and juice of 1 lime. Stir to combine and then taste the rice. Adjust with more salt or lime juice based on your preference (I ended up using 2 limes, but this can vary depending on how juicy your lime is). Then the rice is ready to serve.
Use long grain white rice. You can also use other long grain varieties like Jasmine rice and Basmati rice.
Rinse your rice well. Rinsing the rice will help to remove excess starches, which will keep the rice from clumping together as it cooks.
Drain your rice really well. Shake as much excess water from the rice after draining. This will prevent the rice from causing the oil to splatter when you add it into the pan.
Do not skip toasting the rice. This gives the rice more flavor. Just toast it in the garlic and coriander for 5 minutes.
Allow your rice to rest. When the rice has finished cooking. Take it off the heat and keep the lid on for an extra 5 minutes. This will fluff it up even more to give you the best texture.
Keywords: cilantro lime rice, lime rice