Crispy roasted potato salad served with BBQ chickpeas and roasted broccoli. An easy, flavorful vegan dinner smothered in a creamy tahini sauce.
- 1.5 lb of Yukon gold potatoes, properly washed and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoke paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red onion, 1/2 roughly chopped and the other 1/2 diced
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or preferred high heat oil
- 1, 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, gluten-free & vegan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini (I used Soom Foods)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp dry dill
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of salt or to taste
- 2–3 tbsp of water
- Preheat oven to 425F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water and a few ice cubes. Add in your cut potatoes and allow them to sit for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes to remove excess starches. After soaking, dump the water and place your potatoes on a clean kitchen cloth and pat the potatoes dry.
- Dry the mixing bowl and add your potatoes back into it along with the cumin, paprika, basil, oregano, coriander, garlic powder, a good pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of oil. Toss everything to mix and spread the potatoes out on your baking sheet.
- Place the potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes. To the same bowl add your broccoli and roughly chopped onion. Add 1-2 tsp of oil, 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Toss the broccoli well to coat.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and flip. Place the broccoli mix on a separate tray or the same tray with the potatoes. Place the tray back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- To make the chickpeas, place your drained chickpeas in a clean kitchen cloth and rub dry.
- Heat up a skillet with your remaining oil and add your remaining diced onion and a pinch of salt then sauté until softened. Add and sauté the remaining garlic then add in the chickpeas and stir-fry for an extra 3-5 minutes until the chickpeas appear to have seared a bit.
- Pour in your barbecue sauce and stir to coat your chickpeas. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken for 3-4 minutes then remove from heat.
- Make your tahini sauce by combining the remaining ingredients in a bowl then adjust the consistency with some water until the dressing is creamy.
- To serve, place the potatoes and broccoli in a bowl and top with the chickpeas and your tahini sauce. Garnish with herbs if desired and enjoy.
If your barbecue sauce is lacking in flavor, dress it up with extra garlic powder and a splash of soy sauce for some umami flavor.
Don’t overcrowd your pan. If you need to, use more than one pan to make sure your vegetables are spread out and not laying on top of eachother.
To ensure this is gluten-free make sure to confirm that your barbecue sauce is vegan and gluten-free.
Keywords: roasted potato salad, bbq chickpeas