Quick and Easy Mexican Pickled Onions using red onions, no boiling water required! Cured using citrus, vinegar and salt. Ready in 30 minutes.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 3–4 limes
- Juice of 1 small orange
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- To a glass jar or bowl, add your onion slices.
- With a lemon/lime juice squeezer, squeeze as much juice out of your citrus fruits overtop of the onions.
- Add your apple cider vinegar, salt and any extra add-ins you like to the onions.
- If using a bowl, carefully toss everything together to coat. If using a jar, seal the jar and give it a few good shakes to distribute the juice and salt evenly.
- Place the jar in the fridge to sit for at least 30 minutes before using. You can still taste and adjust the salt to preference once they are ready to eat.
Do not cure your onions in plastic or metal. The combination of metal or plastic with citrus can cause corrosion. It is better to make this recipe in a glass bowl or jar.
To help get as much juice out of the citrus, try using a lemon/lime squeezer.
Your liquid will not initially fully submerge your onions, and that’s okay! Just make sure that you shake your jar of onions to coat with the juice. They will still breakdown.
Your onions will be ready in 30 minutes, but they will continue to become more vibrant pink in color as they continue to sit and soften.
Change up your add-ins. Once you add your base ingredients, it’s totally up to you how you want to flavor your onions, so feel free to experiment.
Keywords: pickled red onions, quick pickled onions, Mexican pickled onions