Hearty Crispy Potato Tacos paired with some Smoky Chipotle Lentils for an easy budget-friendly vegan meal that’s ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 cups cubed yellow potatoes, about 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, diced
- Romaine Lettuce
- 8 corn tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Pickled Onions
- Preheat the oven to 425F. To a medium sized bowl, add the cubed potatoes along with 1 tablespoon of oil, coriander, paprika, garlic, cumin, basil and salt and toss to coat. Add in half the minced garlic and toss again to coat.
- Place the seasoned potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes or until golden with crispy edges.
- While the potatoes roast, prepare the lentils. Start by adding the remaining oil to a pan and sauteing your peppers with a pinch of salt until they soften.
- Add in the remaining garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and sauté along with the pepper and garlic mixture for about 1-2 minutes. Then stir in the cumin, and chipotle peppers and sauté again for 2-3 minutes.
- To assemble the tacos, warm up your tortillas in the oven wrapped in foil for 4 minutes or heat over an open flame like a gas stove for a few seconds on each side (you can also heat them in a heated non-stick skillet). Once warm, set them aside and top with lettuce, then the lentils, some crispy potatoes, avocado and pickled onions then enjoy.
For even crispier potatoes, consider steaming them first before roasting. While it is an extra step, it does improve the texture. Steam the potatoes for 10-12 minutes to soften, then coat with the spices and oil then roast. You will need to bake them longer. This is one of the reasons I don’t always do this step, but if you have the time, it makes for awesome potatoes.
If cooking your lentils from scratch, I recommend cooking them in vegetable broth or adding a vegetable bouillon cube to them to add more flavor. I also like to simmer them with a bay leaf as well.
Save time and don’t peel your potatoes. It’s not just a time saver either, you get more fiber leaving the skin on. Just make sure to scrub the potatoes really well before prepping.
If you are not a fan of spice, remove the seeds from your chipotle peppers. You can also swap the peppers out for some smoked paprika.
Change up your seasonings based on preference. You can always increase, add or subtract spices and herbs based on preference.
Keywords: potato tacos, tacos de papas, vegan potato tacos, crispy potato tacos, smoky chipotle lentils