This smoky Chipotle Red Lentil Potato Soup is cozy, hearty and uses very basic pantry ingredients. Budget friendly, easy and quick to make.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1–2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely diced or 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tsp brown sugar or maple syrup, optional
- 2 cups spinach, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a preheated large skillet, add in your oil and warm it through. Then, add your onion and sauté with a pinch of salt until the onions have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in your garlic and sauté until fragrant, then add in the onion powder, cumin, and oregano and sauté to coat the onions.
- Stir in the potatoes, then add in the chipotle peppers and sauté again for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the lentils and vegetable broth, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Partially cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 13-15 minutes or until the red lentils have cooked through.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice along with the spinach and stir into the soup until the spinach has wilted.
- Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper to taste. If the soup tastes acidic, feel free to add a touch of sugar or maple syrup to help balance out the sharpness.
Rinse your red lentils to ensure that you remove any excess debris before cooking them.
No need to soak your lentils, they will cook very quickly.
For the best texture, don’t overcook the red lentils. Cooking them between 13-15 minutes should be enough without them turning to mush.
If you are not a fan of heat, cut your chipotle pepper in half and remove the seeds. You can also leave out the chipotle pepper entirely and use more smoked paprika. I would use about 1 tablespoon smoked paprika to replace the chipotle peppers if needed.
Adjust the consistency of the soup by adding more water or vegetable broth as needed. If adding more liquid, just make sure to adjust the seasonings to taste.
Customize your veggies. Feel free to add additional veggies to sauté into the soup. Peppers, peas, carrots, or celery can all work really well in this preparation to bulk it up.
Keywords: lentil potato soup, red lentil potato soup, vegetable potato soup, chipotle red lentil potato soup