This high protein packed Avocado Chickpea Salad combines a delicious tangy garlic marinated tofu with an avocado and chickpea base.
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1 block (450g) of extra firm or super firm tofu (if extra firm, press and drain)
- 1, 15oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 avocado cubed
- In a jar or airtight container, add in 2 tablespoons water and miso paste. With a fork, mix to combine until there are no lumps. Now, add your oil, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, nutritional yeast, herbs, and salt and give everything a good mix to combine.
- Take your pressed tofu and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Place the cubes in the container with the marinade and give the container a good shake to help coat the tofu. Place the tofu in the fridge to marinate (for best results marinate for at least an hour).
- To a large mixing bowl, add your chickpeas, diced cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, add the avocado, tofu and marinade to the bowl and toss everything to combine and adjust salt and pepper to taste. You may serve right away or allow the bowl to marinate a little further if desired.
To help the tofu become more flavorful, allow the tofu to marinade for at least 1 hour or more before using.
For the best fresh flavor, wait to add the avocado when you are ready to serve.
You can dress this salad in advance as there are no greens present in this salad. This will also help the tofu and chickpeas continue to marinate as it sits in the fridge.
To make this recipe fast, use canned chickpeas. Just rinse and drain well before using. If using freshly cooked chickpeas, use the equivalent of 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas in the salad.
Keywords: high protein vegan lunch, avocado chickpea salad