This Breakfast Wellington uses puff pastry stuffed with fluffy tofu scramble, vegan sausage and veggies. Flaky, tasty and easy to make and impress with.
- 1 sheet of vegan puff pastry, thawed according to package
- 1–2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 1 (450g) block of firm tofu, drained
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 heaping tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or oat milk + extra for basting
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional Filling Choices
- Cooked Vegan Sausage (crumble as much as you like into the mix)
- Vegan Cheese (cube up your favorite block vegan cheese or shreds and add into the pastry along with the tofu)
- Spinach (roughly chop and mix into the tofu before adding)
- Thaw your puff pastry according to package. When ready to start your tofu scramble, preheat the oven to 400F.
- To a pan over medium heat, warm some oil and then add in your onion, pepper and a pinch of salt and saute until softened.
- Crumble your tofu into the pan and add in your soy sauce, spices and nutritional yeast then stir to coat.
- Fold in your tahini then pour in milk. Stir your tofu mixture well and allow to cook and absorb the liquid until it looks soft and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside. You can stir in any extra filling choices in at this time like crumbled vegan sausage or cubed vegan cheese or spinach.
- Unroll your puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface and with a rolling pin, roll it out a little more. If going for a braided look, cut strips on either side of the puff pastry, leaving space in the middle to fill with your tofu. Brush the strips with plant based milk.
- Add your tofu filling to the middle of your pastry (you may have some leftovers depending on the size of your pastry).Cut off any noticeable excess pastry and tuck up the center ends of the pastry towards the filling in the center and then take each strip and crisscross it all the way up the tofu.
- Brush your puff pastry with extra plant based milk and then place in the oven to bake. Allow the pastry to cool slightly before serving.
- Bake the puff pastry in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top of the pastry is golden. Allow to cool on the baking tray for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Don’t let your puff pastry get too warm. Thaw according to the package and if it becomes sticky, stick in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill. If it gets to warm, the dough will become difficult to use and too sticky.
Cut out little slits in the top of the dough to help it vent.
For a nice golden look, brush your puff pastry with some unsweetened plant based milk.
You do not need to braid your pastry. You can bring in all the sides together and cut some slits on top to vent your pastry. It still looks nice this way and saves you a few minutes in prepping.
The filling will be hot, so be careful when eating after cooking. Allow it to comfortably cool before eating.
Keywords: Vegan Breakfast Wellington, Breakfast puff pastry recipe, Vegan puff pastry brands