Soft, chewy inside with perfectly crisp edges, these flourless chocolate chip cookies are the perfect vegan and gluten-free treat. Just 8 main ingredients, no flour needed.
- 1 flax egg (combine 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 2 tbsp of water)
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter, salted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine ground flaxseed and water in your mixing bowl and allow to gel for 5 minutes.
- To the same bowl, mix almond butter, sugar, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla with the flax egg together in the bowl until well combined into a very soft dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and then with a cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, grab a chunk of dough and lightly roll in your hand into a dough ball.
- Place the dough balls on to a parchment lined baking tray and place in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 8-9 minutes. After baking, remove from oven and carefully tap the pan against a counter top to help the cookies settle more.
- Allow the cookies to completely cool for at least 15 minutes, but I recommend 20-30 minutes for them to really set. If the cookies are too warm, they will be too soft to pick up.
How much your dough spreads will depend on the consistency of your almond butter. More runny almond butter will lead to more spreading while thicker almond butter will lead to more minimal spreading.
Before cooking a whole batch of cookies, I test one dough ball out and see how much it spreads. If I want them to be flatter based on the cookie test, I will flatten the dough balls slightly with my hand to help them spread more when baking the whole batch.
You can make these cookies with various kinds of nut or seed butters. Just make sure they are natural and runny to help keep the dough consistent.
Add in more mix-in ingredients to customize. You can add a mix of dried fruit, coconut shreds or other nuts based on your preference.
Keywords: flourless chocolate chip cookies, gluten-free vegan cookies, no flour chocolate chip cookies