This Roasted Tomato and White Bean Soup is an easy, nutritious and vegan budget friendly recipe. A flavorful soup loaded with plant based protein, sweet blistered tomatoes, kale and garlic.
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 leaves of sage, minced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2, 15 oz cans cannellini beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, diced
- Zest of one lemon
- 10 stalks of kale, stripped and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper for cooking and to taste
- Set oven to 425F. Add cherry tomatoes and sage with 2 teaspoons of olive and toss together with some salt and red chili flakes. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until tomatoes appear to burst.
- As the tomatoes are roasting, start your soup base. Warm the remaining oil in a large pot, then sauté your onions, celery and carrots with a pinch of salt until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the oregano, thyme, and white beans, stirring well to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add in the bay leaves. Give the soup a good stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15 minutes partially covered.
- After the soup is done simmering, add in the roasted tomatoes and blend 2 1/2 cups of the soup in a blender until smooth or use an immersion blender to blend a small portion of the soup.
- Add in your chopped kale and stir well, allowing the soup to wilt the kale for at least 5 minutes. Then remove from the heat.
- Before serving, chop your parsley and mix with some fresh lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Pour a bowl of soup and top with the parsley and zest mixture and serve with a fresh squeeze of lemon.
You can make this soup creamy using 3 different methods. Use an immersion blender to blend a portion on the soup in the pot. You can also transfer 2 cups of soup to your blender and blend on high until smooth then add back to the rest of your soup. And if you don’t have either device, stir your soup and lightly mash the white beans with your cooking spoon to help thicken the broth.
Load in more vegetables. I chose a handful I already had on hand, but you can change things up based on your preference. Swap your greens, dice in some other root vegetables or peppers if you like. Lots of ideas to enjoy with this one.
Ingredient quality matters. If you can opt for fresh ingredients like freshly peeled garlic and lemon instead of pre-peeled or a bottle of juice, it makes the biggest difference in flavor. It also helps to use a very good quality vegetable broth to help amp up the flavor of the soup.
Keywords: white bean soup, vegan white bean soup, roasted tomato and white bean soup