These Chewy Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are deliciously gooey and vegan without butter. Simple ingredients and no chilling required.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup natural runny nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour (spoon and level your flour using a measuring cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- Set oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine your brown sugar, maple syrup, nut butter, molasses, almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix really well until fully incorporated.
- Sift your flour into the mixing bowl and add in your baking powder, baking soda and salt. Carefully fold your ingredients together until a soft dough forms. Finally, fold your chocolate chips and walnut pieces into the dough.
- With a cookie scoop or measuring spoon, measure 1-2 tablespoons of dough out into your palm and roll into dough balls. Place each dough ball on your lined baking sheet and lightly press down on them to flatten slightly and help them spread out.
- Place the baking sheet in oven the oven for 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes prior to serving.
If you do not have a kitchen scale to measure your flour, I highly recommend that you spoon your flour into your measuring cup and level it to make sure you are adding the appropriate amount of flour.
Sift your flour. I use a mesh strainer to sift my flour.
Don’t skip the blackstrap molasses. It helps give these cookies the right flavor.
When you take your cookies out of the oven, your cookies will be soft. Do not touch them and just let them cool. The cookies will continue to bake on the tray.
For best results, use a runny nut butter.
Keywords: chocolate chip walnut cookies, chocolate chip cookies without butter, healthy chocolate chip walnut cookies