This vegan pumpkin bread recipe bakes up moist, fluffy and perfectly sweet with a cinnamon streusel topping. Healthy and easy to make.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter or your favorite nut/seed butter
- 6 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- Start by preheating your oven and preparing the streusel. Set your oven to 350F. Place your brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon together in a bowl and with a fork start to mash the butter into the dry ingredients until you get a crumbly mixture then set aside.
- Set up the aquafaba. In a medium sized bowl, place your aquafaba into mixing bowl and with a whisk or hand mixer, whisk your aquafaba until it starts to get foamy.
- Mix your sugar and wet ingredients. To the aquafaba, add in your sugar and remaining wet ingredients and whisk them together to fully combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients. Measure your flour into an empty bowl along with your spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Give a good mix and then slowly fold your flour into your wet ingredients and avoid overmixing.
- Prepare to bake. Pour your batter into a parchment lined 8 in x 4 in loaf pan. Sprinkle your streusel mixture over top and then place in the oven to bake on the middle rack for 45-50 minutes. Once out of the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes before using the parchment paper to remove the bread from the pan to continue cooling on a wire rack.
Use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is at the correct temperature.
Make sure to use the right sized pan. If you use a larger loaf pan, you will likely have a flatter loaf.
To keep your bread moist, you do need some fat to keep it in. I have tested this bread with both oil and an oil free alternative, almond butter. Tahini could also work if you have a nut allergy. If you replace the fat with apple sauce it will lead to a denser loaf.
If you want to have a loaf with more fresh flavor, feel free to grate some fresh nutmeg to the batter.
Spoon your flour. Do not stick your measuring cup into your flour. Instead spoon your flour into a measuring cup or use a food scale to measure your flour more precisely.