All you need is one sheet pan and 10 ingredients to enjoy these tasty Vegan Black Bean Tacos loaded with roasted sweet potatoes. Spiced to perfection with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano.
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1, 15 oz of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3–4 sprigs fresh thyme, destemmed
- 6–8 corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 425F. On a lined baking sheet, add your cubed sweet potato, plus all of your herbs and spices. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and then drizzle on your oil.
- With your hands, toss your sweet potatoes to fully coat then spread them out evenly on your sheet pan.
- Place two whole garlic cloves, unpeeled on a small piece of foil with a small drizzle of oil and wrap it tightly in the foil. Then place the wrapped garlic on one end of the pan.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes. For even cooking of your potatoes, toss your sweet potatoes half way through to make sure they are roasting evenly and not burning.
- After the cooking time has elapsed and your sweet potatoes are starting to brown, remove from the oven. Carefully remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
- To the pan, add in your black beans and thyme and toss everything to coat well with the roasted spices and sweet potatoes. Spread everything back out on the pan.
- Wrap your tortillas in foil and place them on the baking sheet as well. Place the whole sheet pan back in the oven for 5 minutes to warm everything through.
- Once cooked, remove the garlic from their peels, mash them with a fork on the sheet pan and toss to coat with the beans and sweet potatoes before serving.
Toss your sweet potatoes as they bake to prevent them from burning. I toss them at least once half way through to make sure they are roasting evenly.
Cut your sweet potato into smaller pieces to decrease cook time. Cutting them bigger will increase cooking time, so adjust as needed. Cooking time will vary for other factors like your specific oven, so just check on them periodically to make sure they are roasting well.
Heat up the tortillas before adding the filling. You can heat them up in the microwave or on a warmed skillet for 1-2 minutes per side. Warming them helps to soften them and make them less likely to break when enjoying.
Leave room for toppings. Similar to how I handle burritos, you don’t want to overstuff your tortillas either. It will make them more messy and more likely to fall apart as you eat them. Add 2-3 spoons of the filling and that should leave enough room for extra toppings you wish to enjoy.
Keywords: black bean tacos, vegan black bean tacos, sweet potato tacos, easy vegan tacos