This Apple Crisp Stuffed Baked Apples recipe is the perfect comforting dessert. Warming, tender baked apples loaded with a maple tahini crumble and apple pie spice.
For the Crumble Topping
- 2/3 cup One Degree Organics Sprouted Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped (sub sunflower seeds to make nut free)
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Apples
- 4 Pink Lady Apples
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- Set your oven to 350F and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, prepare your crumble by first combining oats, flour, walnuts, apple pie spice and salt.
- To the dry ingredients add in your tahini and maple syrup then give everything a good mix until the oats are fully coated and appear sticky.
- Now prepare your apples. Start by coring your apples. Cut 3 apples in half, placing into your baking dish, and dice the remaining apple into small pieces and place in a small bowl. After cutting your apples, make sure to squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the exposed flesh of the apples to prevent them from browning.
- For the diced apple, add the juice from the remaining half of your lemon along with the cornstarch and apple pie spice then toss to coat completely.
- Fill your apple halves with a spoonful of the diced apple and then top with your apple crumble mixture.
- Cover your baking dish with foil and then place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and then continue to bake your apples for an additional 20-30 minutes or until your apples are tender.
If you’d like to make the caramel sauce used overtop of these apples, just combine 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and 3 tablespoons of full fat coconut milk with a pinch of salt. Whisk that together until smooth and set aside to drizzle over top at the end when the apples come out of the oven.
Cover your apples with foil before placing in the oven. You just want to cook them covered for about 20 minutes to help cook the middle of the apple a little easier.
Sweet and tart apples work really well for this recipe.
Cooking time will vary. You want to make sure your apples are tender after baking, so they still hold their shape. You can reduce the cooking time by spooning out more of the apple centers to make a small little bowl for your apples and crumble. If you remove enough of the filling, you can likely bake these in a shorter amount of time (about 20 minutes).
Keywords: stuffed baked apples, vegan apple crisp, healthy apple crisp