These vegan lemon blueberry muffins are wholesome thanks to the addition of whole grain flours and oats in the batter. Perfectly soft and sweet, and easy to make.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Set the oven to 425F and prepare your muffin pan by either spraying with non-stick spray or lining with muffin liners and set aside.
- Add your oats and milk to a bowl and allow to soak for 20 minutes. Then measure and prep your remaining ingredients.
- To a separate bowl, add in your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and give it a good mix to combine.
- Now add in your yogurt, apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, lemon zest, juice and your soaked oats.
- Mix your ingredients together to form a thick batter, then fold in your blueberries.
- With a cookie scoop or spoon, divide your batter evenly into your muffin tin. Then place your muffins into the oven.
- Bake your muffins at 425F for 5 minutes and while keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the heat to 350F and continue baking for an additional 18 minutes or until a toothpick pierces the center and comes out clean. Allow to fully cool then enjoy.
To get the perfect rise for your muffins make sure your batter is thick. Having a thicker batter will provide more lift for your muffins.
Soak your oats before adding them to your batter.
Cook your muffins at two different temperatures. Start with a higher temperature to help create the muffin peaks and then bring down the temperature to help cook the remainder of the batter.
Allow your muffins to completely cool if using muffin liners. If the muffins are still hot your muffin liners will stick to the muffins and make them break apart.
Keywords: vegan lemon blueberry muffins, healthy lemon blueberry muffins, vegan blueberry muffins