A quick and easy spiced lentil bowl that uses a flavorful dressing made with smoked paprika, cumin, oregano and lime.
- 1, 15 oz can of lentils, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lentils, onions, cucumber, pepper, tomatoes and sunflower seeds with a pinch of salt.
- To a separate small bowl or jar, combine all of the dressing ingredients and give a good mix to combine.
- Pour this over the lentil mix and toss to combine to fully coat and then place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- To assemble your bowl, add some rice then top with greens, your lentils, avocado and herbs as desired. Then add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
Note how your lentils are prepared. If you are using canned lentils, check to see if they are salted or unsalted. You may need an extra pinch of salt at the end to help carry your lentils through and emphasize all the tasty spices on them.
If cooking your lentils from scratch, cook them in vegetable broth for some extra flavor.
Marinade your spiced lentils for at least 30 minutes for a boost in flavor. Allowing the lentils to marinade in your dressing is going to allow the spices to better penetrate the lentils.
Keywords: lentil recipe, spiced lentil bowl, lentil bowl, vegan nourish bowl