These Sesame Ginger Soy Curls are bursting with warming ginger and fresh cracked pepper. Easy to make and perfect for dinner on busy week nights.
- 4 oz (113 g) of soy curls
- Boiling water
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable or Vegan Chicken Base
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cracked black or white pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Rehydrate your dried soy curls by adding them to a large mixing bowl along with your Better Than Bouillon Vegetable base. Pour some boiling water over top and give it a good mix then allow the soy curls to sit and marinade for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Now, prepare your sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and then set to the side.
- Pour the soy curls into a strainer and gently press curls down to release excess liquid.
- Heat up your oil in a large pan over medium high heat and add in your drained soy curls. Sauté them to help brown them evenly for about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove your soy curls and then sauté your onions and peppers with a pinch of salt until softened.
- Add your soy curls back to the pan with the peppers, then add your cabbage in and stir well to mix.
- Pour your sauce over your soy curl mixture and allow sauce to thicken for about 2 minutes while sautéing and remove from heat.
Cook your soy curls until they’ve started to brown. Don’t over or under cook these curls to help maintain their chewy center without turning them into jerky. You just want to see a little sear around the edges before adding in the sauce.
You can swap your soy curls for a different protein like tofu. Make sure you press it well to remove excess water and then cube and pan fry in a little oil, which following the other steps as detailed.
To make this dish completely gluten-free, just make sure to replace the soy sauce with gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos. Note, coconut aminos has a slight sweet taste to it.
Keywords: soy curls, recipe for soy curls, healthy vegan takeout recipes, takeout recipes