Overnight Steel Cut Oats are my favorite make ahead breakfast. Creamy, the perfect chewy texture, and will save you time in the morning. Perfectly spiced oats you can take on the go!
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- In a sauce pan add your water, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon stick, and cardamom.
- Mix ingredients well and bring to a boil, then add in your steel cut oats.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute then remove from the stove and stir in the salt.
- Cover sauce pan with a lid and cool before placing in the fridge OR portion into smaller jars or containers to have them cool faster before placing in the fridge.
- Allow oats to sit overnight for at least 8 hours before stirring up to serve.
Make sure to use steel cut oats for this recipe. This recipe is designed specifically for steel cut oats and likely won’t work with other kinds of oats.
Don’t skip the milk! For these oats I used almond milk, but you can swap out for your preferred milk. The point of adding the milk is to make sure your oats are nice and creamy.
If you need to cool your oats faster, try portioning your cooked oats into smaller containers, which should help cut down on the cooling time. Once cooled, you can place in the fridge overnight.
Don’t skip the pinch of salt. It really does make a big difference in taste and helps to bring out a lot of the natural sweetness of these oats.
Keywords: overnight steel cut oats, overnight oats, easy vegan breakfast, steel cut oats recipe