This Marinated Lentil Chickpea Salad is bursting with garlicky lemon flavor, layered with texture and loaded in nutrition. Easy to make, vegan, and perfect to serve as a meal or side.
Spicy Garlic Lemon Dressing
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (I like using a garlic press)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked small brown or green lentils
- 1 green scallion, sliced
- 1/2 large cucumber, de-seeded and cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice, syrup, mustard, garlic, and spices and whisk together well.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add your beans and lentils, diced vegetables and scallions then pour over your dressing.
- Give everything in the bowl a quick toss to coat, then adjust salt to taste.
- Place this salad in the fridge to chill for an hour before serving, and save remaining salad in the fridge to continue marinating overnight. When serving, you can drizzle your salad with some extra virgin olive oil.
Don’t overcook your lentils! Cook them until they are al dente. Drain off any extra liquid that may be in the pot as well.
Make sure to cool your lentils before adding to your salad. Adding in warm lentils will warm up the other ingredients in the bowl and change the texture of the salad.
Chill before serving. I highly recommend allowing your lentils and chickpeas to marinate as long as they can. Try to let them sit and marinate for at least an hour or even overnight for best results.
Keywords: lentil salad, marinated lentil salad, lentil chickpea salad, lentil vegetable salad