A vegan tofu stew infused with fresh ginger, garlic and a touch of spice. The perfect easy weeknight dinner recipe.
Baked Tofu and Vegetables
- 1 block extra firm tofu or super firm tofu
- 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into thick half moons
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
Coconut Ginger Sauce
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, diced into small pieces
- 2 inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1/2 cup cooked small lentils or canned
- 1, 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
- 1/2 a bouillon cube or 1/2 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Paste (optional)
Tofu and Vegetables
- Set oven to 400F. If using extra firm tofu, press before using to remove excess water. Cut into 16 even cubes and place in a Tupperware container with soy sauce and nutritional yeast. Seal container, give a gentle toss to coat.
- Place tofu on a lined baking tray along with the sweet potato and zucchini. Toss the sweet potato and zucchini with half the olive oil and arrange on the tray with the tofu. Place baking tray in the oven for 20 minutes, making sure to flip half way.
- To a large pan over medium heat, add remaining oil and cumin seeds. Sauté for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add in onion with a pinch of salt and continue to sauté until softened.
- Stir in ginger and garlic and continue to sauté for about a minute.
- Add in coriander, turmeric and tomato paste and sauté well to coat.
- To the pan, add in garlic chili sauce, lentils, coconut milk and the bouillon cube.
- Once fully mixed together, add in the tofu and sweet potato, then bring to a low simmer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
While you can use light coconut milk, I find that this stew is the creamiest when using full fat canned coconut milk.
Using fresh ginger makes all the difference in the world when making this recipe. Using powdered ginger will be more muted, which will lead to a difference in flavor in the final resulting stew.
You can swap the coconut milk for oat milk or cashew cream in case of allergies.
Keywords: tofu stew, vegan tofu stew, tofu lentil stew, easy vegan dinners