These lemon poppy seed pancakes are vegan, fluffy, and made from scratch using bright citrus flavors. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- Juice from one large lemon (about 3–4 tbsp of lemon juice)
- Zest from one large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant based yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl create a “buttermilk” mixture by combining milk, lemon zest and juice and set aside.
- Combine all remaining dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Add in the yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, and “buttermilk” mixture and whisk into the dry ingredients until a batter forms. You do not need to make the batter perfectly smooth or lump free.
- Preheat a greased griddle to medium heat and spoon 1/4 cup of the batter on to your griddle and cook the pancake for 3-4 minutes or until golden before flipping to the other side to cook for about 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Repeat this process with the remaining pancake batter. Once done cooking, serve as desired.
Thicker batter will not spread as much on the griddle, and this will allow the leavening ingredients to puff out and bubble to create more internal structure that leads to ultimate fluff.
Do not overmix your batter. Mix your batter to combine and that’s it. A few lumps is okay and not anything to worry about.
Make sure your baking powder is fresh. Fresh baking powder will better react and create the pockets of fluffiness in your pancakes that you are looking for.
If your batter is too thick, you can add small amounts of milk to help loosen up the batter.
Keywords: fluffy vegan pancakes, lemon poppy seed pancakes, vegan lemon poppy seed pancakes