These vegan chocolate chip tahini cookies are soft, chewy and gooey in the middle with crisp edges. Decadent, but with a healthy twist.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (156 g) of flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (43 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Set oven to 350F, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a small bowl mix together your ground flaxseeds and water and set aside to gel for at least 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add in your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix together well.
- Add your tahini, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla extract and mix it into your dry ingredients until a slightly sticky dough forms. Lastly, fold in your chocolate chunks or chips.
- With a cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, scoop out your dough and place on the cookie sheet.
- Smooth out the dough balls by rolling them in your hands and spread them out to give them enough room to spread.
- Press down on each dough ball slightly to help encourage spreading, then place the tray in the oven for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before removing from the baking tray.
Use a good quality tahini. Make sure your tahini is runny and smooth. It should not be bitter in flavor. My favorite tahini brand to use is Soom Foods.
Spoon your flour as you measure. Don’t stick your measuring cup into your bag of flour. It makes a big difference in terms of the quality of the cookie. If you have access to a food scale, you will get the most accurate measure.
Lightly press down on your cookie dough. These cookies spread just a little bit, so help the cookies out more by slightly flattening them before placing them in the oven.
Allow your cookies too cool before removing from the tray. These cookies are fragile. As eager as you might be to eat these cookies, please be patient. The cookies continue to cook out of the oven on the tray, disturbing them will cause them to fall apart.
Keywords: chocolate chip tahini cookies, chocolate chip cookies, vegan cookies, vegan desserts