This Easy Vegan Tahini Pesto recipe is made with 7 simple ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to make! Perfect to toss together with pasta, spread in a wrap or sandwich, or flavor tofu with for your next meal!
- 2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4–1/2 cup cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except water in and process until basil is chunky.
- Add in 1/4 cup water and blend on high to smooth out the sauce. If too thick, add remaining water and process until mostly smooth.
- Store sauce in an airtight container or jar and serve as desired.
Only use fresh basil for this pesto. This provides the most optimal flavor and leads to the best pesto flavor.
If you are not a fan of tahini, feel free to use extra virgin olive oil! It’s just as nutritious. If using, you may wish to omit the water and add olive oil in until the pesto is to your desired consistency.
Don’t have pepitas/pumpkin seeds on hand? Feel free to opt for hemp seeds or sunflower seeds as another way to keep this nut free.
Keywords: sauces/dips, quick and easy