This Coconut Lentil Soup is packed full of flavor with ginger, garlic, herbs and coconut milk. It comes together in just 30 minutes for a delicious meal that is healthy, vegan and gluten-free!
- 2 tsp neutral flavored oil or 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat your oil in a large pot and begin to sauté onions, pepper, celery, garlic, and ginger with a pinch of salt until onions have softened.
- To the pot add your oregano, basil, thyme, turmeric and sweet potato and stir well to coat.
- Add in quinoa, lentils, cherry tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Stir well to combine and then add vegetable broth and bay leaves.
- Bring the soup up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Allow soup to cook for about 30 minutes, making sure lentils and quinoa are completely cooked through.
- At the end of cooking, feel free to add any extras like stirring in spinach to wilt or adding in some fresh parsley.
This recipe calls for dry quinoa and lentils. If using cooked lentils and quinoa, consider adding towards the end of cooking to warm up and reducing the broth according to your preference.
Lentils typically take 20 minutes to cook to a good tender texture. To prevent them from undercooking, make sure to cover with a lid while simmering to help steam them and cook them well. If lentils have not cooked through, add an additional cup of water, cover with a lid and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
The tomatoes and peppers are optional in this dish! Feel free to remove them. Fresh tomatoes tend to be lighter option and less sensitive for some. If ultra sensitive, feel free to remove them all together.
This recipe can be made in a crockpot. Place all ingredients in your slow cooker, stir well and cook on LOW for 6 – 8 hours or HIGH for 3 – 4 hours.
Keywords: soup, coconut, lentils, quinoa