A lentil vegetable wellington you can be proud of. Stuffed with an easy lentil vegetable mixture, this dish comes together quickly.
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils (rinsed well)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 stalk celery (sliced)
- 1/2 small onion (diced)
- 4 Bella mushrooms (cubed)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 thawed vegan puff pastry sheet
- In a sauce pan add lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil and allow to cook until soft and all liquid has been absorbed by the lentils (or drain remaining liquid if necessary).
- While lentils are cooking, mix flax and water together and set aside.
- When most of the liquid is absorbed, put a separate pan on a burner and add in onion, celery and mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt. Allow to cook down and soften.
- To the pan add the garlic and allow to become fragrant while sautéing. Add in tomato paste and sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Then add in soy sauce, lentils, seasonings, nutritional yeast and flax egg. Remove from heat and stir well to combine. Allow lentils to sit and cool for 10 minutes while preparing the puff pastry.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Make sure pastry is completely thawed. Spread out on a floured surface and lightly roll it a little flatter.
- Take lentil mixture and place in the middle of the pastry. You don’t need to do anything super fancy with the dough, but if you’d like to braid it, please refer to notes below. For an easier option, wrap the sides of the dough around the lentils almost as if you were going to swaddle a child. For the ends, cut off excess pastry leaving about an inch enough to fold up to make a little log.
- To seal just brush with a little plant based milk or water. Once sealed, place the lentil loaf seam side down on a lined baking sheet. Brush the surface with a little more plant based milk or oil and cut at least 4-6 venting slits into the pastry.
- Place pastry in oven on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow 10 minutes to cool before cutting and serving.
Pepperidge Farms sells puff pastry sheets that are accidentally vegan. You can find them in the freezer section of your local grocery store. There are other puff pastry options that are vegan that you might be able to find at Whole Foods, but note that I was unable to find any at my own, so it might be hit or miss.
Cooking Your Lentils
If you notice that your lentils are still hard after cooking, try adding more liquid and cook for a little longer. Some lentils if they are older can sometimes take longer to cook.
To Braid Your Pastry
Starting from one end, pull up one strip up at a diagonal over the lentil mixture. Then cross the opposite strip over top the previous strip. Go back to the other end, cross over, and repeat on the other side. Continue back and forth until you get to the center of the loaf and then go to the other end of your pastry and begin the process till to meet back in the middle.
I left my ends untucked to allow the pastry to vent as it cooks. Just make sure your lentils are not falling out of the roll. At this point, carefully transfer your wellington to a baking sheet.
Keywords: holidays, lentils, wellington