This lentil and tomato macaroni soup is a very easy and cheap meal you can put together using basic pantry ingredients.
- 2 tsp olive oil or 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 6 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup dry macaroni
- Place a large pot on your stove and heat up to medium heat.
- Pour in oil or vegetable broth in the pan and then add your onions and green bell pepper with a pinch of salt and sauté until onion is softened.
- To the pot add garlic and sauté for one minute or until fragrant.
- Once fragrant, add in chili powder, oregano, thyme, and basil and stir well and allow to sauté with vegetables for about a minute to heat through then add in nutritional yeast.
- To the pan add in tomatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes then add in vegetable broth and lentils.
- Stir to combine and then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add in macaroni and allow to simmer with the soup for 4-5 minutes or until macaroni is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and adjust salt and pepper to your liking before serving.
Keywords: lentil macaroni soup, lentils, soup