Rich with multiple points of chocolate, these easy to make double chocolate peppermint cookies will make your holiday season bright.
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat heat oven to 350F. Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl, then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt through a mesh strainer to remove clumps and mix together well.
- To a separate microwave bowl, add chocolate chips, vegan butter, and maple syrup and place into the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir well to mix some of the melted chocolate, and repeat until all the chocolate is fully melted (this took about a total of 3 times 15 seconds each to melt completely).
- To the chocolate, stir in the brown sugar, peppermint extract and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Once all the liquids are mixed, add the flax mixture and the melted chocolate mix into the bowl with flour. With a spatula, fold in chocolate and flour together until a dough forms. Add in chocolate chips and again fold them into the dough.
- With a cookie scoop, scoop out a portion of your dough and roll into a ball. Place all of the rolled dough balls onto a lined baking sheet and very lightly press down on them to slightly flatten. Place in the oven to bake for about 11-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool. If you’d like extra chocolate, feel free to press chocolate bar pieces into the center while still warm to lightly melt before enjoying.
- Note: If not using peppermint extract, replace with equal amounts unsweetened almond milk.
Make sure that if you are prepping the dough that you are intending to make the cookies fairly quickly. Do not refrigerate dough as this will affect the firmness and cook time of the dough due to the melted chocolate chips in it.
Try not to deviate too far from the instructions. If you insert other ingredients I can’t guarantee this will work as well.
Keywords: chocolate cookies, cookies, peppermint chocolate cookies