These vegan cowboy cookies are the perfect jumble of cinnamon, oats, chocolate, pecans and coconut. A satisfyingly gooey, chocolatey cookie perfect for the holidays.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp (42g) vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (51g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup natural creamy peanut butter or cashew butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (102g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (77g) rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (100g) vegan dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped
- Combine the ground flaxseeds with the water and allow to gel for 5 minutes. In a bowl combine the melted butter and brown sugar and whisk together well. Pour in the maple syrup, peanut butter, vanilla and flax egg and whisk again until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together and then pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- With a spatula fold the ingredients together until most of the flour is combined then pour in the coconut flakes, pecans and chocolate chunks. Fold everything together until you form a sticky dough. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for 1 hour then preheat the oven to 350F.
- Scoop up about 2 tbsp of dough and roll into a dough ball to place on a baking sheet and lightly flatten the dough. Repeat with remaining dough making sure to give enough space for the dough to spread when it bakes.
- Place the cookies in the oven to bake for 11 minutes. Remove from oven and use a large cup or bowl to swirl around the cookies to make them round. Let the cookies rest on the tray until cooled, then enjoy!
It’s important to chill the dough for 1 hour. I know waiting can be a pain, but chilling the dough does 2 important things. One, it helps to develop more of the flavors in the dough especially as the sugars and fats meld into the flour. Two, it will firm up the dough and make it easier to work with. DON’T SKIP THIS STEP!
Measure your flour appropriately. If you are not weighing your flour with a scale, I highly recommend spooning your flour into a measuring cup and properly leveling it using a flat knife. This will keep your flour aerated and help you avoid adding too much flour to your cookies. Too much flour will make the cookies more dense and lose some flavor.
The cookies will taste even better as they sit. This is a unique cookie in that as it sits after it cools, the cookie will continue to develop more flavor over time.
Keywords: vegan cowboy cookies