This vegan stuffed butternut squash makes the perfect holiday plant-based entrée. Stuffed with flavorful smoky tempeh and sweet diced apples.
Butternut Squash Prep
- 2 small butternut squashes
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium stalk celery (diced)
- 2 shallots (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 apples (diced)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 blocks tempeh (crumbled)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Optional: 4 tbsp vegan shredded cheese and extra thyme
Prep Butternut Squash
- Set oven to 425F. Cut each butternut squash in half length wise, then scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- With a knife, create a cross hatch pattern in the inside flesh of the butternut squash.
- Rub 1 tsp of olive oil over each butternut squash half and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place butternut squash in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- While butternut squash bakes, add 1 tsp olive oil, shallots and celery to a skillet with a pinch of salt. Sauté until shallots have softened.
- Stir in apples and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in tomato paste, tempeh, spices and herbs and continue to sauté for about 3 minutes.
- To the pan add soy sauce, maple syrup and vegetable broth to deglaze the pan. Stir well and bring pan up to a medium high heat to boil.
- Allow liquid to cook off completely, while occasionally stirring to prevent any sticking.
- Once liquid has cooked off, set aside and wait to remove squash from oven.
Prep Stuffed Squash
- When squash is fully cooked, spoon a generous amount of the tempeh mixture into each butternut squash half cavity.
- Optional, but sprinkle a little vegan cheese and extra thyme overtop if feeling fancy.
- Place butternut squash back into the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while warm.
- Brands of tempeh can impact the level of bitterness. By boiling the tempeh in this broth, the bitterness should reduce significantly. It also pairs well with the apple and maple syrup to help further tone down those bitter notes.
- Feel free to use vegan ground meat in place. Reduce broth to 1 cup of vegetable broth and follow same cooking method.
Keywords: apples, black pepper tempeh, butternut squash, stuffed butternut squash, tempeh