A lemon white bean orzo soup, bright and flavorful thanks to the lemon juice and zest mixed into this garlicky and herb filled soup broth.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 2 small carrots (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk or vegan butter
- 1 can cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dry orzo
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, carrot, onion, celery and a pinch of salt.
- Stir and allow to cook until softened. Add in garlic and sauté until fragrant then stir in white beans, coconut milk, thyme, pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning.
- Combine and then pour in vegetable broth and add in a pinch of salt, bay leaves and sprig of rosemary.
- Bring pot to a low boil and add orzo. Stir well and allow to cook for 10-12 minutes to cook orzo.
- Remove from heat and squeeze in lemon juice and add lemon zest.
- Remove bay leaves and Rosemary sprig. Stir in parsley and allow to naturally soften in the soup. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
- Quality of herbs makes a big difference in flavor.
- I like this recipe to be garlicky, so use a lot of garlic to achieve this or add some additional garlic powder to it as it cooks based on preference. I used a large lemon. If you have a small lemon, use about 2 to brighten this up.
Keywords: garlic, lemon, orzo soup