These fluffy pumpkin pancakes are vegan and made healthy with the use of whole grain flour. Perfectly spiced and sweet, you will want a large stack of these to enjoy for breakfast or brunch.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vegan yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup oat, almond or soy milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- Preheat a griddle or non-stick pan. In a mixing bowl, add pumpkin puree, yogurt, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and milk then give it all a good mix to combine.
- Mix in the baking powder, baking soda and salt, and give another mix to combine. You will notice some bubbles start to form as the leavening reagents react with the vinegar.
- Fold in flour and mix to combine. Avoid overmixing your batter!
- Grease your griddle once warm, then scoop 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto the griddle surface and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom of pancake is golden.
- Flip and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes as well. Remove from heat and repeat with the remaining batter then serve as desired.
Make sure your leavening ingredients are fresh. Check to make sure your baking powder and baking soda are not expired. If they are, make sure to replace as they are a key ingredient that will provide the bubbling reaction needed to make your pancakes fluffy.
Avoid overmixing your batter. When you overmix your batter, you overwork the gluten. This will cause your pancakes to be flat and dense instead of fluffy.
Make sure your griddle or pan is nice and hot before adding your batter. Preheating the pan will make sure that your pancake cooks all the way through. Test out a small pancake on the griddle to make sure it’s the right temperature. You can adjust the heat as needed.
This recipe has only been tested with whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour and spelt flour. Using gluten-free flours typically work different as they absorb liquids differently. Let me know if you have tested with a gluten-free alternative flour.
Keywords: pumpkin pancakes, vegan pumpkin pancakes, healthy pumpkin pancakes, fluffy vegan pumpkin pancakes