Fluffy, vegan, and made with simple ingredients, this cream cheese filled pumpkin bread is the best fall breakfast, snack, or healthy dessert!
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz plain dairy free cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
Pumpkin Bread Batter
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup plain dairy free yogurt or milk
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
Cream Cheese Filling
- Preheat oven to 350F. While oven preheats, combine cream cheese, corn starch, sugar and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together until cream cheese mixture is smooth, with no lumps remaining. Set aside to make batter.
- In a large bowl, combine ground flax and water. Mix and then let stand to gel for 5 minutes.
- To the bowl add pumpkin, yogurt, nut butter, apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, and apple juice. Whisk liquid ingredients well to combine evenly.
- Fold in baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Note that your batter will fluff up.
- At this time, fold in flour and brown sugar. Your batter will be thick once fully combined.
- In a greased loaf pan, spoon half the batter and spread out evenly in the pan.
- Spoon cream cheese filling on top of the first layer and smooth it out evenly all over top.
- Take remaining bread batter and spoon evenly over top the cream cheese layer. Carefully spread top layer over cream cheese filling to completely cover.
- Lift pan slightly up and lightly tap it on your countertop a few times to release air pockets between the layers.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 55 minutes or until you see your bread dome and turn golden.
- Remove your loaf from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to completely cool on a wire rack before cutting into slices.
- I tested this bread with both Toffuti Cream Cheese and Kite Hill plain cream cheese.
- I used natural peanut butter for this loaf, but feel free to opt for almond butter for a more neutral flavor or tahini, sunflower butter or coconut oil if you have a nut allergy.
- I did not test this recipe with gluten free flour, but if you do test it, let me know how it goes.
Keywords: dessert, pumpkin bread, sweet bread