This chickpea wild rice soup is the perfect hearty fall recipe. Lots of herbs to amplify flavor, warming ginger, and creamy coconut.
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 2 medium stalks celery (diced)
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch ginger (minced)
- 6 sprigs of thyme stripped
- 1 sprigs rosemary (minced)
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add add onions, carrots and celery and sauté with a pinch of salt to sweat them.
- After sautéing for 2 minutes add mushrooms and an additional pinch of salt and allow to sauté and brown for an extra two minutes.
- Add in garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute to become fragrant.
- Stir in thyme and rosemary and sauté again for a minute then add in soy sauce and coconut milk and stir to combine.
- To the pot, add in rice, chickpeas and veggie broth. Stir to combine and then add bay leaves.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally to prevent rice sticking to the bottom.
- Allow to cook at a low simmer covered for about 30 minutes or until wild rice is cooked through.
- When soup is done cooking, combine water and cornstarch to make a slurry. Stir in corn starch mix to the pot to help thicken up.
- Adjust seasoning to your preference with extra salt and pepper to taste.
- To make gluten free make sure to use gluten free soy sauce or tamari.
- If you wish to cook this in the instant pot, follow above instructions and set instant pot to manual pressure and cook for 15 minutes with a natural pressure release.
Keywords: chickpea wild rice soup, chickpeas, soup