Just a few minutes and basic ingredients is all you need for this chili lime bean salad! Fresh flavors and perfect as a side or main!
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1, 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen fire roasted corn, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of 2 limes or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder or Tajin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro.
- In a separate cup or bowl combine lime zest, lime juice, oil, maple syrup, and remaining seasonings. Whisk the vinaigrette together and pour dressing over beans and gently toss everything together to coat.
- Place beans in the fridge to chill for at least an hour before serving. When ready to serve, mix in your avocado and make sure to toss again, then enjoy!
Feel free to adjust or omit the oil and maple syrup. The oil is there to help improve the mouthfeel of the bean salad and the maple syrup is there to help balance the sharp and tangy flavors of the garlic and citrus.
Make this a meal by including more grains. Add more corn or serve with tortilla chips, quinoa, rice or bulger wheat.
Adjust the spice of the salad by omitting the jalapeño or removing the seeds before adding to the salad.
Add and mix in the avocado when ready to serve. This will make the salad last longer as avocado oxidizes quickly.
Keywords: chickpea and black bean salad, southwest black bean salad, chili lime bean salad, chickpea black bean salad