These sesame orange chickpeas are the perfect meal without having to order out. Whip up the orange sauce and you're good to go for the week!
Sesame Orange Chickpeas
- 1/4 medium onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup orange sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (or flour, tapioca starch or arrowroot powder)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp garlic chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Zest of one orange
For Sesame Orange Sauce
- In a bowl combine water and cornstarch. Mix well until no clumps remain and set aside.
- In a saucepan add orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, ginger, onion powder and garlic chili sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Stir sauce to combine and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in corn starch slurry and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and sesame seeds and set aside.
- Make chickpeas by sauteing onion and mushrooms over medium heat until translucent.
- Add in broccoli and 1 tbsp water, lower heat to low medium and cover with a lid for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add in chickpeas and sauté for another 2-3 minutes to warm through.
- Add in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of orange sauce and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat and serve with rice.
- Feel free to replace chickpeas with other protein options like baked or pan fried tofu.
- You can make this gluten free by choosing a gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos in place of regular soy sauce and gluten free flours to thicken the sauce.
Keywords: chickpeas, orange chickpeas, takeout makeover