A delicious and healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread that is moist, flavorful and tender! A tasty way to get in your veggies. This bread is vegan and loaded with whole grains!
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups spelt flour or all purpose flour, spoon and level
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine water and flaxseed in a small bowl, then allow to gel for 5 minutes to form a flax egg.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Fold in the flax egg, applesauce, peanut butter, apple cider vinegar and grated zucchini until half the batter is mixed.
- To the batter, fold in the chocolate chips until you get a well mixed, thick batter. Add the batter to a parchment lined 8-in x 12-in loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until you stick a tooth pick into the center of the loaf and it comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Use a box grater to grate your zucchini. For best results, I like to grate it fairly fine so it blends very well into the bread.
If you have little ones that don’t like seeing the green parts of the zucchini skin, you can peel your zucchini before grating it for this recipe.
To make this gluten-free use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 All Purpose Flour.
Use a smooth and runny nut or seed butter. The consistency will help to take the place of the fat used in traditional loafs, which impacts the texture.
Do allow the bread to cool before slicing. The bread will continue to cook itself when taken out of the oven. Cooling will also help the bread to finalize its structure and prevent it from becoming gummy in texture.
Keywords: vegan zucchini bread, zucchini bread, chocolate chip zucchini bread, healthy zucchini bread