These coconut spiced red lentils are easy to make and a delicious vegan meal that is high in protein, creamy and flavorful thanks to the coconut and ginger.
- 1/2 small onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 small sweet potato (diced)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets or more if desired
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large sauce pan, start by sautéing onions with a little neutral oil until translucent (if oil free, just use a splash of vegetable broth to prevent sticking).
- Add in fresh garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in cumin seed and coriander and allow spices to bloom (if not using oil, just use 2 tbsp of the canned coconut milk and sauté with spices for about 1 minute to bloom).
- Add in garlic powder, ginger powder and turmeric.
- Stir well and then add in potato and cauliflower and sauté in spices, cooking for 2-3 minutes before adding in the red lentils.
- Once lentils are added, give a good stir then add in tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Stir, then add vegetable broth and red pepper flakes and bring mixture to a low boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid at end of cooking time and stir to fully combine before serving.
Keywords: coconut, lentils, stew