Warm, gooey with a sweet and cinnamon mix of goodness like it's cookie counterpart. This snickerdoodle oatmeal is the perfect breakfast bowl.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- In a small bowl, combine pinch of cinnamon and 1 tsp of sugar and set aside.
- Add oats, ground flax seed, remaining tsp of sugar, cinnamon and salt to a sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Stir in cashew butter, vanilla extract and almond milk.
- Turn heat on and bring mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, begin to stir oatmeal and continue to slowly stir for about 3-5 minutes or until oats have thickened as desired.
- Remove oats from stove top and pour into serving bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture over top surface of oatmeal and top with fruit if desired.
- To make oatmeal gluten free, make sure to use gluten free oats as regular oats are technically not gluten free. Regular oats are grown in fields with wheat, so cross contamination is very common.
- If you do not have vanilla extract, opt for vanilla flavored almond milk.
- You can sub out other nut butters for this oatmeal. Feel free to use almond butter or sunflower seed butter. If you use peanut butter, note that it is possible your oats will taste more peanut buttery.