These mustard chili chickpeas are super flavorful with a nice kick coming from the chili powder and mustard. Perfect meal prep that takes less than 30 mins.
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp sazón (or an extra tsp of chili powder)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tsp brown mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium sized pan over medium heat, add diced onion, bell pepper and celery.
- Sauté to vegetables, allowing onion to become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in seasonings and sauté for 1 minute then stir in soy sauce.
- Then, add chickpeas and mustard and sauté to coat.
- Finally, add sugar and broth and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until chickpeas are coated in a glossy finish. Taste and then decide if you wish to adjust salt and pepper as desired.
- Feel free to adjust seasonings or condiments as you go along. Personally, I would not skip the sweetener as it does help to round out some of the dominant flavors in here.
- Use canned chickpeas to make this recipe quick and easy.
Keywords: chickpeas, mustard