Super fluffy, vegan cornmeal pancakes for a delicious and nutritious breakfast. Enjoy on the weekend or meal prep in advance for the week!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (diced)
- Preheat a griddle or greased pan. In a mixing bowl, add banana and with a whisk or fork mash banana until mostly smooth.
- Add in flax seed and water and give mixture a good stir and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in apple cider vinegar, vanilla, salt, and sugar and mix this in well.
- Add in baking soda and baking powder then stir well again and you will notice the mixture react and start to fluff up.
- Add in flour, cornmeal, cinnamon and milk and mix to form a thick batter. Try to avoid over mixing your batter.
- Fold strawberries into the batter and set to the side.
- When griddle is ready, scoop 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto griddle surface. Avoid spreading out too thin and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom of pancake is golden.
- Flip and cook other side for 2-3 minutes as well. Repeat using remain pancake batter. Remove from heat and eat.
- If batter is not thick, allow to rest for 5 minutes so flour can absorb liquid better.
- If you wish to make a version that is gluten free, you can use a mix of 1/2 cup oat flour and 1/2 cup rice flour with 1/4 cup less milk.
Keywords: cornmeal, pancakes