This rich and flavorful chipotle red lentil chili is spicy, satisfying and can be whipped up in just 30 minutes. Spiced with chipotle, paprika and ginger!
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
Stove Top Instructions
- In a medium pot add onions and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in diced red bell pepper, garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in tomato paste paprika, chipotle powder, chili powder, and cumin then continue to saute in pan for 2-3 minutes allowing seasonings to bloom.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, lentils, maple syrup and vegetable broth making sure to stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and allow to cook for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft and tender.
Instant Pot Instructions
- If cooking in the instapot, set instapot to sauté and follow all steps as detailed above when adding ingredients.
- When all ingredients are in the instapot, seal the lead of the pressure cooker and set it to manual pressure for 10 minutes. Once cooked, allow for natural pressure release and stir pot well before serving.
- Feel free to serve yourself the amount that feels best for you. I at least recommend 3/4 to 1 cup of this chili to enjoy with additional sides as desired.
- If you have a difficult time digesting lentils, soak lentils for a few hours, rinse well before using in this recipe. You might also benefit from using canned lentils as they have few FODMAPs in them.
Keywords: chili, lentils