Super fluffy whole wheat pancakes for a delicious and nutritious breakfast. Enjoy on the weekend or meal prep in advance for the week!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cups frozen blueberries
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
- Preheat a griddle or pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add banana and with a whisk or fork mash banana until mostly smooth.
- Add in flax seed and water and give mixture a good stir and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in apple cider vinegar, vanilla, salt, and sugar and mix this in well.
- Add in baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir well again and you will notice the mixture react and start to fluff up.
- Add in flour, zest and milk and mix to form a thick batter (avoid over mixing).
- Fold in blueberries into the batter.
- When griddle is ready, scoop 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto griddle surface and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom of pancake is golden.
- Flip and cook other side for 2-3 minutes as well. Remove from heat and eat.
- You can swap out the white whole wheat flour with whole wheat pastry flour, regular white flour, and spelt flour. Avoid using regular whole wheat flour as it is much denser than white whole wheat flour.
- One tested gluten free option I have used for this recipe is buckwheat flour. Let me know if you’ve tried it with any other flour mixtures!
- This recipe makes 8-10 pancakes depending on size.
Keywords: almond milk, apple cider vinegar, baking powder, baking soda, banana, blueberries, blueberry pancakes, ground flax seeds, maple syrup, pancakes, salt, vanilla extract