Perfect for meal prep, packed with protein and veggies, these tofu "egg" muffin cups are the ideal breakfast on the go treat.
- 1 package firm tofu, water drained
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 3 tbsp pepitas
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lite soy sauce
- 1–2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp veggie broth
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Start by cooking your onions and mushrooms in a pan over medium heat. Saute until onions are softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in bell pepper and splash of veggie broth to deglaze the pan.
- Add in kale and garlic powder and allow kale to wilt for about 1-2 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add all ingredients listed under tofu base to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend ingredients until completely smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prep muffin tin by either lining with paper liners, lightly greasing with oil to prevent sticking or using a non stick pan (silicon muffin pans are an amazing non-stick option).
- In a bowl, combine the tofu base and the sauteed vegetables together.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop and pour the mixture into each individual muffin cup. It should provide 12 even muffins.
- Place tray in the oven for 30 minutes. You will notice the tops of the muffins crack a little during the baking process.
- Remove egg muffins from the oven. They will still be soft, so allow to cool for at least 10-15 mintues before carefully removing from the pan.
- Once ready, enjoy as desired.
- Mix and match different veggies for this to meet your preference. These also go great with diced olives and sun dried tomatoes.
- You can freeze and reheat these for later use. Make sure to divide and separate muffins using parchment paper to prevent sticking together during the freezing process. When ready to enjoy, remove from freezer and allow to completely thaw or pop in the microwave for a minute and 30 seconds to reheat. These can also be reheated in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes from frozen.
- This recipe creates 12 muffin cups. I find that these are satisfying when 2 are enjoyed or if using 1 at a time, make sure to pair with other foods to make it filling.
Keywords: garlic powder, hummus, nutritional yeast, onion powder, pepitas, soy sauce, tofu, tofu muffin cups, turmeric