Creamy, warming and satisfying for those random chilly days. Or hey, if you blast the AC and need something to warm your soul, this does the trick!
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 can chickpea, rinsed and drained
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 inch fresh minced ginger or 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 5 collard leaves, cut into strips
- For Instant Pot, add all ingredients except collards to cooking pot. Stir to evenly distribute and seal pressure cooker completely. Set pressure cooker to manual for 10 minutes and allow to pressure to naturally release. Unseal pressure cooker and stir in collard green strips to naturally wilt from the heat of the stew.
- If cooking on stove top, add onions to a large pot and saute for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin and smoked paprika, allowing seasonings to become fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add in chickpeas, lentils and tomato paste and fold into onions and seasonings.
- Add in vegetable broth and peanut butter, give mixture a good stir to evenly mix.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat back down to a simmer and cover with lid, allowing stew to cook for about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked all the way through.
- Turn off heat and add in collard green strips, stirring to incorporate into stew.
- Season stew to taste and serve with scallions, cilantro and avocado to your liking.
- Feel free to use freshly cooked chickpeas for this recipe or get a can of no sodium added chickpeas if trying to avoid sodium.
- This stew goes great with hot sauce or red chili flakes. Add based on your preferences. I personally like to add 1/2 tsp red chili flakes to this. Gives it a nice kick.